Friday 16 December 2011

To Hitch

By Alan Go

There are too many hurdles in life to learn of them all by trial and error. That is why we look for the people greater than ourselves, those who can act as role models, and teach us the vital lessons so we may learn them more quickly, and without stumbling.

Christopher Hitchens was one of those people for me. I spent much of today watching his old videos, reading obituaries, and going through his old material. I realised while doing this, that if he had not featured in my life, I would have been a significantly different person, and the worse off for it.

Most obviously, he constantly reminded me of the importance of secularism. As one of the major causes of his life, he sought to impress upon people the danger that lay in religion, and in relying upon it for any kind of morality or wisdom. This for him, was simply an extension of his lifelong fight against totalitarianism, inspired by his own hero, George Orwell.

More generally, he taught me not to fear accusations of stridency. Although such an approach should not be used indiscriminately, if there is a practice that we find barbaric, or a belief that is obvious nonsense, we must not let charges of militancy or disrespectfulness prevent us from making our point. A movement needs people charging ahead at the front, daring to speak out in spite of taboos. Neither Mother Theresa, nor Mohandas Gandhi, was safe from his criticism. His willingness to call out religion for what it was, let fellow atheists know that someone was fighting their cause, and gave them the courage to join him in standing up for their beliefs.

An influence I feel keenly as I type this, is that of his writing. It is no exaggeration for me to say that I know of no finer non-fiction writer, or anyone who could match the elegance of his prose. Sitting among a list of people writing about atheism who are renowned for their clarity and readability, it was universally acknowledged that Hitchens was the best. Any time a new piece of his appeared in my rss feed, I would jump to it straight away, knowing I was guaranteed an essay filled not only with sharp insights, but also composed of beautiful sentences. This ability of his came out especially when he started writing about his illness. In particular, there is an article I regularly go back to about the importance of his voice. Every sentence is vibrant and sparkling.

One can become quite used to the specter of the eternal Footman, like some lethal old bore lurking in the hallway at the end of the evening, hoping for the chance to have a word.

His voice resonates strongly, as it does through all his work. When I read Hitch-22 or god is not Great, his voice immediately arrives in my head, reading to me aloud with perfect clarity. When I write, it is always with his voice and style in mind.

I stand firm in my conviction that the naturalistic worldview holds greater attraction than any spiritual one. The universe is wondrous enough as it is, and we can do without the distractions and obfuscations of the religious. But still, death is certainly a moment where it can be possible momentarily to struggle for positives. Hitchens led by example, and now, his example is no longer with us. When I think of the sentences that might yet have been written, and the speeches that will now go unspoken, it is impossible not to shed a tear. The world has lost one of its greatest writers, and is undoubtedly a less interesting place.

So we should mourn, but not too much. There is work left to do, and one less person left to do it. If you wish to pay tribute, then raise a glass and join the toast:

To Hitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment